Friday, February 5, 2010

Snow Day!

I thought snow days was something I wouldn't get to experience after I finished high school. But today, with the District expecting somewhere around 24 inches of snow, the federal government shut down four hours early. After work, I came home and went to Whole Foods with Jenny and Carlos. It was jam packed.

Dr. Spalding had warned us that DC isn't the greatest at handling snow and recommended that we stock up on milk, toilet paper, and bread should the snow come. Being from Chicago, I'm used to a city that is good at handling snow. They keep the roads pretty clear and there's never a rush to the grocery store. With word that snow was coming our way, I heard some of the people in my office talking about trying to go to the grocery store. On my way to lunch, I heard one guy describe the grocery store as looking like "Soviet Russia" with long lines and bare shelves. I didn't quite believe it until I went to the store today.

When I got to Whole Foods, it seemed a little crowded, but not too bad, but as we continued shopping it was brutal. It really was empty shelves and the lines for the checkout wrapped around the back of the store. It was hard to move in the store, even harder when trying to maneuver a shopping cart at the same time. I wished I had brought my camera, because I had never experienced anything like that. It took about 15-20 minutes to get through the checkout line, and when we left, we realized they were even out of shopping carts.

No comments: