Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bowling at the White House

In 1947 President Harry S. Truman received a very special birthday present, a bowling alley. Truman did not care for bowling himself, but allowed his staff to start a league. The two lane bowling alley was located in what is the present day situation room. In 1955 the two lane bowling alley was moved to the Old Executive Office Building to make room for a mimeograph room. Yesterday, I had the honor of bowling at the White House with the Deputy Secretary of Education and his staff, the office I work for. This was a great end to the first week on the job, bowling with the staff (a nice bonding experience,) eating pizza, and drinking Coke. I personally am not a bowler, and my score proved it, I was 12 out of 12. Although I do believe I beat President Obama's 37. The president was scheduled to visit us in the bowling alley, but unfortunately something else came up. As you know, there isn't usually down time when you are leading the free world. As far as my supervisor's score, the Deputy Secretary responded, "you beat the intern."

No comments: