Monday, February 24, 2014

Change

So, I just finished Season 2 of House of Cards, and I am shocked, excited, and scared, all at the same time. I won't say anything, but aaaah Francis Underwood!!!!! It is pretty cool to be in Washington and recognize some of the places in the show. I wonder if Freddie's BBQ Joint actually exists…

But, like Frank Underwood, I, too, changed internships! Okay, I'll stop with the House of Cards references. My first internship wasn't a great fit for me, and it wasn't what I was looking for in my Washington experience. I'm now in the Office of Congresswoman Janice Hahn (D-44), and am so grateful to have been given a second chance and to work on the Hill. That being said, I learned that change is good, and sometimes necessary. Although I enjoyed my time at my previous internship and learned a lot, I'm glad I found the courage to switch internships. DC is full of transitions, and it's normal to change jobs. If you aren't happy or satisfied with your internship, feel free to speak up and talk to Dr. Spalding, or your internship coordinator, and figure out what the best course of action is for you.

Cannon House Office Building 
My place of work
I know I mentioned this in my previous post, but the use of public transportation and walking is so new to me! I've always used a car to get around everywhere in Los Angeles, and having to rely on public transportation is honestly not as convenient, and sometimes really frustrating, but I've learned to appreciate the nice morning walks, a few minutes to catch up on the news, and people-watching.

Rush hour crowd
Oh! The Washington Program students were invited to a town-hall discussion with His Holiness the Dalai Lama on Wednesday and Thursday, and he came over to where we were sitting!!!





The entire experience was amazing! He was such a humble and wise man. An We made it onto the official website (www.dalailama.com)!






No comments: